Thursday, August 30, 2012

Letting Go...

The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God.
What we try to keep for ourselves is just what we are sure to lose.
~ C.S. Lewis

There comes a time in all of our lives that we must let go of something or someone. Whether by choice or otherwise, letting go is never an easy thing to do. Sometimes we have the advantage of knowing ahead of time that the loss is coming. Other times we are caught off guard and the loss hits us so unexpectedly we wonder how we will ever possibly recover. Sometimes the loss is temporary. Other times the loss is permanent. Whatever the situation, we all face loss at various times throughout our lives and we must learn the best way to deal with it.

I had to deal with the loss of my dad unexpectedly. I was completely devastated. For the longest time I felt such a hole in my heart that I didn’t think it would ever heal. In so many ways, that loss seemingly tore my family apart. As a result, I not only lost my father, but I lost other relationships that were important to me. Death is a loss that is simply unspeakable for those that are left behind.

As recently as last week, I had to begin dealing with the loss of all of my children not being home during the day. Although it was an expected loss – my kids are growing up and my youngest started preschool – the hurt was still the same. I had to find a way to cope with the hole that was left in my heart. You see, my daughter was born prematurely and we didn’t know for sure if she would survive or not. She is truly a miracle!! I so treasure everyday that I have with her, that to send her off to school – even for half a day – was a really big loss for me. Yet everyday when I go to pick her up, she greets me with the biggest grin and runs into my arms. I am then reminded that letting go is part of the growing up process, and that is what I prayed for her for so long. I wanted her to be able to grow up and do all the normal things that other kids got to do. She is my answer to prayer.

Sometimes loss can be a good thing. Choosing to lose our anger, bitterness, resentment, or even jealousy is something that many of us need. This is not only an affordable loss, but a commanded one. Scripture teaches to “Put aside all anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.” ~ Colossians 3:8

My friend, what loss are you facing today? Is your loss temporary or permanent? Is there something that you are holding onto that you need to let go of? Whether your loss is unexpected or not, God knows the difficulty with which you struggle in letting go. He Himself faced loss when He allowed His only begotten son to suffer and die to save us from our sins. He not only understands how we feel, He also sympathizes with us. However, wanting only the best for each of us, He wants to walk alongside of you and carry you through this time. Allow Him to be your strength and comfort. Allow Him to fill the hole that is created by your loss. He loves you more than you can possibly imagine, and He is simply waiting for you to open your heart and invite Him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment